Wednesday, June 6, 2007

A day in third grade

I had a wonderful day in the third grade class with Alexus. It was grandparent’s day and I was invited to spend part of the day with Alexus and her class. It was an eye opening experience. I was amazed how smart third graders really are.

We stated with a group session and everybody got to talk, even me. The question of the day was "If you could be invisible for 10 minutes of every day, what time of the day would you choose and why". The answers were really quite ingenious. Yes, I did come up with something but I am leaving that as a secret between me and the other third graders!

We spent some time on vocabulary. That was fun too. At one point the teacher asked me if something she had written on the board was spelled correctly. What!? What she serious? Where is the spell checker? These kids were able to spell out words that most adults would struggle with. I was impressed.

We also learned to play the ukulele. We all were given a short lesson by the music teacher and then we were off. Each of use was assigned our very own ukulele and we were making music. Well, it was kind of music. We did learn to play row row row your boat.

Oh yes, we also got to go out for recess. I spent my recess pushing kids on the swing. I was also given the privilege of giving piggy back rides of course and Alexus insisted on riding me to and from the playground.

In all, it was fun and I would do it again!